Monday 2 May 2011

Red Riding Hood - Sarah Blakeley-Cartwright - Review


Book: Red Riding Hood
Author: Sarah Blakeley-Cartwright
Publisher: ATOM
ISBN: 9781907410826
Rating: A

Valerie is in love with the dangerous and unlikable Peter (a woodcutter, of course) but is betrothed to the rich hot blacksmith in town, Henry. Their town has been terrorized by a wolf ? a wolf that appears only at the full moon ? and when Valerie's sister is brutally murdered the message is clear: she's next.

If I was allowed to for the review I would just type the words: I LOVE IT a hundred times but seeing as I wouldn’t get away with it I’ll do a proper review.

I’m not sure where to start but I do remember, I was already 50 pages in and all I could think was ‘I love this book’ and I did. Firstly the way it was written I loved because It was so whimsical and musical and that’s what I found amazing. Light and airy writing was used on a dark gothic tale and it worked amazingly. It also made the book a fast read, because I read it in two hours straight.

I suppose apart from the beautiful cover and the amazing trailer I would have picked up the book nevertheless as I am into this Red Riding Hood twist theme at the moment, having, only last week, read Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce, so if you loved Red Riding Hood you’ll Love Sisters Red and the same applies for the other way round.

I don’t know why but I when I think of the book the first word that comes to mind is Beautiful and it is in so many ways, the writing, the story, the imagination. The thing I love about this book is that it doesn’t start of slow, explaining the 5 W’s or the characters background, it just jumps straight in with action and it’s a thrill. The books is a wonderful and magickal fairy tale with a dark and nocturnal twist. Absolutely fantastic.

It follows the story of a town plagued by the curse of a werewolf, in which every month a sacrifice must be made to keep the Wolf at bay, but as the Blood Moon wanes the Wolf attacks, its aim to change Valarie, the main character, who is part of a love triangle and so to speak the ‘different one’.

Now in the book it doesn’t reveal who the WereWolf actually is (you’d want to know this because early in the book it’s confirmed that the wolf is one of the citizens of the town), but there is a bonus chapter online at redridinghoodbook.co.uk , and boy it’s amazing. I’m not going to say who the werewolf is, because it’s so shocking but I will tell you: {SPOILER ALERT} It’s not Peter.

My Favourite character is in Deadlock because I like both Peter and Henry, I mean they both love Valarie but they are both opposites. Peter is the dark, dangerous and has the broodingly good looks, but Henry is the baby faced rich one, who is slightly less handsome with his divine look. To be honest I hated Father Solomon from the moment he arrived and if you don’t mind the language he is a complete B*STARD. He thinks he’s all godly but he just a cannibalistic, barbaric, twonk with a cold heart. Again please mind the language...

Comparing it to the movie it is a fantastic novel and red it a million times I will, so honestly I truly adored this book.

1 comment:

  1. This was one of the worst books that I've ever read. There was so much of unwanted inane descriptions simply to introduce Valerie and her family. I reached the end thankfully without a moment's enjoyment. It was boring and laborious. Yikes!!!!

    ReplyDelete