Skip to main content

HUNTRESS - MALINDA LO - REVIEW

Book: Huntress
Author: Malinda Lo
Publisher: ATOM
ISBN: 9781907411090
Rating: A+

"Nature is out of balance in the human world. The sun hasn't shone in years, and crops are failing. Worse yet, strange and hostile creatures have begun to appear. The people's survival hangs in the balance. To solve the crisis, the oracle stones are cast, and Kaede and Taisin are picked to go on a dangerous and unheard-of journey to Tanlili, the city of the Fairy Queen. Taisin is a sage, thrumming with magic, and Kaede is of the earth, without a speck of the otherworldly. And yet their two destinies are drawn together during the mission. As members of their party succumb to unearthly attacks and fairy tricks, the two come to rely on each other and even begin to fall in love. But the Kingdom needs only one huntress to save it, and what it takes could tear Kaede and Taisin apart forever..."

This is one of the best books I have read in ages. In fact it brings back memories of the old days, when Harry Potter was all the craze and YA fiction was barely known. I suppose Malinda Lo has managed to capture all the magical essence of a Childs book and weave into an amazing Teenage Fiction that I absolutely adored. I mean I finished this book within a day. I got it in the post, picked it up and was instantly gripped, and that’s not counting the beautiful cover.

The book follows two girls on a quest to restore peace and natural weather back to a magical world. They encounter many things along the journey and it all keeps you entertained. I remember at the beginning of every chapter I would think ‘This will be my last chapter’ but it never was. There was always something exiting or thrilling happening and I always had to read on. I mean the book didn’t disappoint me; in fact it was better than I thought. It’s a beautiful and magical tale filled with lore, ledged and love. That’s the other thing that strikes me about Malinda Lo’s books; they are all so unique in their own special way. They all have their special twist, which is a lesbian love. With Ash I was skeptical about a lesbian Cinderella and I was even more skeptical about it in this book but Malinda lo seems to have pulled it off.

The writing is so whimsical yet so deep. There are some very talented authors that have a certain way of describing things and Malinda can do that. Her descriptions are so vivid and clear. It’s almost as if you’re there. It’s the same with the emotions. Malinda doesn’t drone on and on about the emotion but you feel the same things that the characters do in the small amount of words allocated to how they feel. I suppose the main focuses of the story is the journey to the fairy kingdom and to save the land along with the love plot.

I’ve honestly never read a book quite like this. I have never come across a book with such an amazing world, that is so totally unique, and this book is something new. I suppose the book tells us one thing. Malinda Lo has an amazing imagination and what does that tell us? We can expect great things from her.

Out of the characters my favorites would have to be Con, Kaede and Taisan, only because as a group they have all the qualities main characters need. They are brave, strong, in love, and magical. That is why I like Tasian. She is this very meek little girl but if you get on the wrong side of her she’ll use her magic and blow you to bits. BOOM! Kaede I like because she’s adventurous. She kills the Fairy Queens daughter and gets the blood of a unicorn. I feel that world is unique but I recognize some of the mythology that has been pulled from other books. The other reason the mythology in this book is different is because it is very much Chinese which is nice to have a change from the general Greek myths or Vampires (though I can’t get tired of either of those genres).

The book is truly magical and Malinda Lo is one amazing author. I cannot wait to see what she has in store for us next, but I will get my hands on it! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE MIME ORDER - SAMANTHA SHANNON - REVIEW

Book: The Mime Order
Author: Samantha Shannon
Publisher: Bloomsbury
ISBN:
Rating: 10/10

Paige Mahoney has escaped the brutal penal colony of Sheol I, but her problems have only just begun: many of the fugitives are still missing and she is the most wanted person in London. As Scion turns its all-seeing eye on Paige, the mime-lords and mime-queens of the city's gangs are invited to a rare meeting of the Unnatural Assembly. Jaxon Hall and his Seven Seals prepare to take centre stage, but there are bitter fault lines running through the clairvoyant community and dark secrets around every corner. Then the Rephaim begin crawling out from the shadows. But where is Warden? Paige must keep moving, from Seven Dials to Grub Street to the secret catacombs of Camden, until the fate of the underworld can be decided. Will Paige know who to trust? The hunt for the dreamwalker is on.

Breathless. That's how I felt after finishing this book. A year I waited for this book and for something I wai…

A COURT OF MIST AND FURY - SARAH J MAAS - REVIEW

Book:  A court of mist and fury
Author: Sarah J Maas
Publisher: Bloomsbury Kids
ISBN: 9781408857892
Rating: A

Feyre survived Amarantha's clutches to return to the Spring Court – but at a steep cost. Though she now has the powers of the High Fae, her heart remains human, and it can't forget the terrible deeds she performed to save Tamlin's people.Nor has Feyre forgotten her bargain with Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court. As Feyre navigates its dark web of politics, passion, and dazzling power, a greater evil looms – and she might be key to stopping it. But only if she can harness her harrowing gifts, heal her fractured soul, and decide how she wishes to shape her future – and the future of a world cleaved in two.

It has been a long time since I've loved a book as much this. A court of mist and fury is by far the best book that I have read in 2016 so far, and easy surpassed it's predecessor a court of thorn and roses.

The plot of this was so incredibly per…

THE MIME ORDER - BLOG TOUR - FANMADE COVER

Hi Guys!!! So today is Friday the 16th and that means today THE MIME ORDER BLOG TOUR HERE ON EXCELLENT READS!!! HOORAY! So anyway, here is my first treat for you guys and it's a fanned cover of the Mime Order that I made a few days after I finished the book. I was actually going to post it earlier but when I found out I would be participating in the blog tour, I thought what better time to post it than today!? So anyway, here it is and I hope you like it!! I tried to go for a more adulty, classic, simple cover!