Friday 29 July 2011

THE POWER OF SIX - PITTACUS LORE - REVIEW

Book: The Power of Six
Author: Pittacus Lore
Publisher: Michael Joseph
ISBN: 9780718156480
Rating: A+

"We are the last defence. I've seen him on the news. Followed the stories about what happened to John Smith. To the world he's a mystery, but to me ...he's one of us. Nine of us came here, but sometimes I wonder if time has changed us, if we all still believe in our mission. There are six of us left. We're hiding, blending in, avoiding contact with one another, but our Legacies are developing and soon we'll be ready to fight. Is John Number Four - and is his appearance the sign I've been waiting for? And what about Number Five and Six? Could one of them be the raven-haired girl with the stormy eyes from my dreams? The girl with powers that are beyond anything I could ever imagine? The girl who might be strong enough to bring the six of us together? They caught Number One in Malaysia. Number Two in England. And Number Three in Kenya. They tried to catch Number Four in Ohio ...and failed. I am Number Seven. And I'm ready to fight."

This book is so epic! I honestly love Pittacus Lore so much yet I hate him for leaving the book on such a cliff-hanger, because now I have to wait for him to write another book! So in other words, the men behind Pittacus are amazing authors. This book was everything I wanted! After enjoying I am Number Four so much I was eager to get my hands on this and I loved it. It was filled with action, aliens, legacies (magic... sort of), and a love pentagon? It was most definitely and amazingly epic thriller.

This book also follows Seven. It’s set in the point of view of Seven as well as Four, who we know as John Smith, and Seven who is introduced as Marina. Basically Seven is having a fight for survival and to live on to her destiny and learn her legacies whilst her half-nun Cepan is all holy and doesn’t care, whilst Four, Six and Sam, have love problems, make it across the news, destroy the FBI, run halfway across the country and awaken the Evil Mogadorian leader for war. Oh, yeah and {SPOILER} the other ship that came to earth from Lorien, is proven to have number Ten on it (who we also meet, along with Nine) and possibly others.

The book starts of in Seven’s point of view, and she lives in Spain. It’s quite an unexpected way to start the book as I was expecting to start off in some action scene with Six, Four and Sam, but that’s not to say I didn’t like the opening. I can say it had me gripped. The book uses a lot of description, and I liked it, a lot. I always love books with more description; I suppose it just paints a clearer picture in my mind. Pittacus Lore has succeeded in writing a second fantastic novel to the series.

The writing is very different and very set to the person’s point of view. Like when it was from Seven’s point of view the writing was very soft and kind whereas Four’s was very edgy and down with the dogs. I mean overall the writing was Excellent and I think it was and is the best style to use for the dazzlingly unique book.

Right... in this book we are introduced to a lot of new characters so I’m going to Profiles:

Seven: She can heal anything; she can see in the dark, can breathe underwater and has telekinesis.

Nine: Has advanced speed and senses and can use lots of alien stuff.

Ten: Can change shape to different ages.

Crayton: Alien Techno Geek

I think they are all so unique and well built characters but as for my favourite well it has to be... Six. I honestly think Six is so awesome. She can fight, she has amazing Legacies and she is pretty hot! All the characters are well defined though and you feel so close to all of them except for the Mogadorians. You just want to rip their cold hearts out, boil them into soup and feed it to mentally challenged Dung beetles.

The book is a new type of Sci-fi I would say. Something different and I think it is has something for everyone of every Genre. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I had me reeling from the start, with every twist and turn, the mystery and suspense, the love and hate and the intergalactic aliens. Most definitely five starts a million times, and god... I need the next book!

No comments:

Post a Comment