Tuesday 19 February 2013

VORTEX - JULIE CROSS - REVIEW

Book: Vortex
Author: Julie Cross
Publisher: PanMacmillan
ISBN: 9780230757165
Rating: B

Jackson Meyer has thrown himself into his role as an agent for Tempest, the shadowy division of the CIA that handles all time-travel-related threats. Despite his heartbreak at losing the love of his life, Jackson has proved himself to be an excellent agent. However, all that changes when Holly--the girl he altered history to save--re-enters his life. And when Eyewall, an opposing division of the CIA, emerges, Jackson and his fellow agents find themselves under attack and on the run. Jackson must decide between saving the love of his life and the entire world ...

Sorry this is incredibly late but it's one of those books I was struggling to put into words and I wasn't sure whether that was for good reasons or bad. In fact I'm still not sure so I'm just going to go through my overall opinion in this review.

Lets start of  with where this started. It follows on from the previous book, and basically I'm not going to try and sum it up because there is too much.

The storyline in this was varying. It kept me interested and reading non-stop but something you have to be careful with when writing about time travel is how confusing it gets, now i don't if this is just me but i found myself a tad lost with the ins and outs of it. However don't let that stop you from reading it, because it really doesn't have that much of an effect. The story is still incredibly clever and witty and I love the direction this sequel has taken. In fact there are many incredibly surprising twists and turns in this that will leaving you wanting so much more. The plot is layered with so many subplots and stories that it's just such a thrill ride to read.

The writing was actually really pleasant to read. I didn't find it too whimsical or to actiony but just simple. And I'm so happy the writing was the way it was because otherwise the book would've dragged out, and i can honestly say for this story the novel was the perfect length. The dialogue and description balance was perfect and I admit, Cross does a fantastic job as writing as teens. I couldn't find a single fault.

The characters pretty much stay the same in this and once reading this you see eery character in a whole new light. Backstories are revealed, subplots are told and the foundations of the characters grow much stronger. But there's more than that. Characters you one loved you know hate, and the line between good and evil is gone. Theres no black and white now, just grey.

My favourite character this time round was Kendrick. A new character but nevertheless, one that it there to be liked. You'd have a hard time hating her. I found the she kept balance between so much that went on the books, and out of them all she was the most sane. It was nice to have a little sanity whilst reading this back, just to keep it grounded and real.

Overall I did really like this, though I still have mixed feeling. It did keep me captivated and wanting, and my final thoughts on the book were, Sequel? Because I want to know what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment