Friday 26 April 2013

DIARY OF A CRUSH: FRENCH KISS - SARRA MANNING - REVIEW

Book: Diary of a Crush: French Kiss
Author: Sarra Manning
Publisher: ATOM
ISBN: 9780349001562
Rating: B

New town, new college, new people, Edie's feeling overwhelmed. What if nobody wants to be her friend? But then something happens that turns her life upside down: Edie spots Dylan. Messy-haired, pouty, frustratingly elusive Dylan...Fast forward to the college trip to Paris and things are really heating up. In between the shopping, the clubbing, the kissing and the making up, something happens between Edie and Dylan that changes both their lives for ever. But do boys like Dylan ever play for keeps?

For me this is one of those book thats quite a bit out of my comfort zone. Something I don't usually read, but I'm always open minded, so I dove in, headfirst, completely ready for the book and I loved it. Every now and then It's nice to take a breather. Read a short, funny lighthearted book and this was all of those things. It was fun, quirky and had some laugh out loud moments. No gothic themes or knee deep plots. Simple, airy and a pleasure to read.

Seeing as I've never read any of Manning's stuff before, this is definitely a gateway for more. The plot were brilliant. It had me interested every part of the way and I loved it. It wasn't heavy in the slightest but still kept you thirsty for more. It moved quick, and although a romance had the appeal to both boys and girls. 

The writing was really nice to read. Considering it's meant to be a diary the perfect amount of detail was put in whilst keeping it diaryish and still as though it was written by a teenage girl. The description was perfect and I loved the way having it like a diary helped it open up to reveal much more personal aspects of Edie's life. I feel that the more I know a characters the more I love the book.

The characters in this were brilliant! By the midway point every character you know is flipped and the complete opposite and all of the sudden the people you like you hate and the people you hate you like, say for Edie. The characters were created so cleverly and developed in such a way that they instantly materialise in your mind. There weren't too many which we extremely nice and I felt as though they were definitely right in my mind.
My favourite character has to be Shona. Even though we're initially meant to hate her she's essentially the peacekeeper between Dylan and Edie and once you get to know her she's an instantly likeable person.

Overall this is a beautiful, lighthearted quick read that make you want to read more. I couldn't put it down and by the time I was finished I was ready for book 2. Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment